Travel Bloggers – Cuba or Mexico?

I’m picking a tropical paradise destination to visit over Christmas Break.

Maldives - Boats

Nothing too lavish, a bit off the grid. Nothing too touristy. Nice waters to snorkel. As economical as possible, but not cheap as in you get what you pay for.

Which country would you choose? Where would you stay? What makes this location interesting? How good is the food? I’d like to feel steeped in the culture and dance to amazing music! But not a party, club location. A location where a woman can feel safe if she decides to venture off on her own for an afternoon.

I look forward to your feedback to help me pick my Christmas Break adventure!!

Adventure on!!!!!

Stephanie, 🤠


We chose: Huatulco, Mexico!

We chose this location based on recommendations from good friends who had traveled to this lovely, non-touristy, coastal, south-western state of Mexico. Here is where the locals travel to vacation! Below are the links to our trip, if you’re interested in knowing more about this vacation getaway, where 80% of the tourists are national, the other 20% are Canadian!!

2020 - New Year's Day - Huatulco, Mexico - Chahué Beach

Here are the links to the blogs about Huatulco, Mexico:

Huatulco, Mexico – Bumped Up To Business Class – WestJet & Air Mexico

Huatulco, Mexico – Arriving!

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 1 – La Crucecita, Chahué Bay, Turkey Vultures & Tequila

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 2 – Chahué Beach, Dos Equis, Shrimp Tacos & Michael Arrives!

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 3 – Chahué Beach, Brown Pelicans & Mini Coronas

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 4 – Tangolunda Bay, Tangolunda Beach, Resort Crashing, Margaritas & Sand Boobies

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 5 – New Year’s Eve Day, Early Morning Sunrise & Early Morning Catch of a Mexican Sierra

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 5 – New Year’s Eve Day – Early Morning Moments

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 5 – New Year’s Eve Day – Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe – Parish of Our Lady of Guadalupe

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 5 – New Year’s Eve Day – The Many Colors of Downtown La Crucecita

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 5 – New Year’s Eve Day – Santa Cruz Beach

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 5 – New Year’s Eve – Dinner at Señor Barril & The Sights of Santa Cruz Beach

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 6 – New Year’s Day – “Polar Bear” Dip, Fish Tacos & Canadian Hockey

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 7 – Earthquake – Yes – Earthquake! Oh & Morning Run

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 7 – Canada vs Slovakia, Patricia & Joel & Renting a Scooter

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 7 – Conejos Beach – Rabbit Beach

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 7 – La Bocana Beach – Surfer Beach

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 7 – Copalita River & Rafting

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 7 – Copalita Town – Nope, A Papaya Farm!

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 7 – The Lighthouse Near La Entrega Beach

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 7 – La Entrega Beach – Holy Crowded!!!

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 7 – Navel Lookout Spot, Guns & Beers & Reflections of a Full Day

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 8 – Funky Van, Chahué Beach and Yautja

Huatulco, Mexico – Day 9 – Last Day

Huatulco to Halifax – Upgraded to Business Class & Welcomed Home With A Nova Scotia Snow Storm!

8 Comments Add yours

  1. wayne and lorie says:

    I have been to both …Cuba’s beaches more beautiful, but Mexico has the best food. I would choose Mexico, beaches are nice but there is some seaweed.

    1. Hmmm….tough decision because I love a good beach, but good food is just as important.

  2. wayne and lorie says:

    If you are on your own….Cuba is much safer!!!!!

    1. I went to Cuba on my own way back, early 2000’s. Varadero. I did feel safe. 🙂 Thank you so much for this feedback Lorie! <3 <3 <3

  3. dovalpage says:

    If you go to Cuba, stay in a casa particular….better than a hotel, and much cheaper. Then you will get the true Cuban experience. Know because I am Cuban myself 🙂 Whatever your destination, enjoy! Feliz Año Nuevo!

    1. Gracias!!!!!! Feliz Año Nuevo to you too!! 🙂 🙂

  4. Having recently been to Cuba I found it wasn’t particularly safe travelling alone. I would be very careful. Many backpackers I met went to Mexico halfway through and they had a much better time. Cuba are currently experiencing alot of shortages of supplies.

    1. Thank you for for feedback Jessica! It is interesting, your feedback…I’m not sure how to word this, I’ll do my best. Some people I know, who do not travel a lot feared Mexico and encouraged Cuba. Those I know who have traveled the world recommended Mexico, and assured Mexico is safe. My point is that your advice as an experienced traveler speaks volumes on the truth of Cuba. Travel is so subjective, but there are always underlying truths that most will experience. Yet, some stay in the bubble of resorts. I don’t really consider that a vacation. Well, at times I do – because the bubble is a welcomed head break.
      I picked Mexico – Huatulco, Oaxaca. My husband and I truly enjoyed it and felt incredibly safe!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Leave a Reply