All students of Usui Shiki Ryoho, Reiki Level I are introduced to the history of Reiki. It is important to be familiar with Reiki’s history to have an understanding of the integrity of the practice.
Mikao Usui (1865-1926) is the man responsible for discovering a way to channel Reiki. His life and history of Reiki has two main historical traditions; a western one and an eastern one. I have written a very simple overview, an introduction to the traditional western history of Reiki and the traditional eastern history of Reiki.
The Traditional Western History of Reiki
- Usui was a scholar who taught in Christian schools in Japan.
- He decided to dedicate his life to research and discover how Jesus and the Buddha had been able to heal.
- He ended up in a Zen Buddhist monastery where the abbot advised him to meditate to find the answers he was seeking.
- At the end of a 21 days fast on Mount Kurama, in Tokyo – he came to a deep understanding to all his research into healing, received spiritual empowerment and achieved enlightenment.
- He began to notice his hands had the healing powers he had been searching for.
- He spent many years healing people before eventually passing his teachings a only a few people – one of them Mrs. Hawayo Takata (1900-1980) who returned to her home in Hawaii, bringing Reiki to the West.
- There, Mrs. Takata developed a system of teaching Reiki that could be taught in a few days to fit in with most western working lifestyles.
- Mrs. Takata’s system of Reiki in the West has been defined as Usui Shiki Ryoho – the Usui System of Natural Healing
The Traditional Eastern History of Reiki
- Usui started studying Buddhism at the age of four and continued to do so into his adult life including Shingon and Zen Buddhism
- Mastered Japanese energy systems such as Qigong and other classical arts.
- A Zen Master advised Usui to undergo “Shyu Gyo”, a strict spiritual discipline involving meditation and fasting for 21 days on Mount Kurama, in Tokyo – until he either died or became enlightened.
- On the last day of his fast he experienced spiritual enlightenment which gave him the ability to access healing energy (Reiki) and pass it on to others.
- After healing many people over many years, he began to teach people how to access Reiki with three levels – Shoden, Okuden and Shinpiden
- Only 17 people were taught Shinpiden – Mrs. Hawayo Takata was one of them.
- His healing system became known as the Usui Reiki Ryoho or Usui Spiritual Energy Healing Method.
- This traditional healing method in Japan takes many years to complete.
The essence of both histories are the same.
- Mikao Usui lived in Japan
- Usui researched and discovered a way of channeling spiritual energy which could be used for healing
- He taught the system to a number of people including Mrs. Takata, which is how Reiki came to the West
Reiki Level I Blogs:
Upcoming Reiki Level I blogs will include:
- Basic treatment form and hand positions for treating yourself and others
- How to give treatments for accidents or injuries
- How to use Reiki with plants and animals
- How to use Reiki on personal problems and world situations
- The 21-Day Clearing Cycle
- Usui System of Reiki – a review of the Five Principles, Four Aspects and Nine Principles
- In-depth information on the aura and chakras
- Creativity and Reiki
- Personal growth and spiritual development
My intention for writing this Reiki Level 1 blog series is to be used as a reference for my course, Reiki Level 1 .
For more in-depth information on Reiki Level I, and the history of Reiki, I recommend the books I used as references for this blog:
The Reiki Manual – A Training Guide for Reiki Students, Practitioners and Masters, Penelope Quest & Kathy Roberts
The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui, Frank Arjava Petter
For more information on Usui Shiki Rhoyo, I enjoy the website The Reiki Association. Click here to access that site.
About me: Stephanie Wells
I’m a Reiki Master Teacher of Usui Shiki Ryoho – the Usui System of Natural Healing. I was attuned in Levels I, II & IIIA in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. During a 6 week stay in Mararikulam North, Kerala, India I was reattuned in Levels I, II, & IIIA as well as acquiring my Level IIIB Master Teacher attunement.